Mark is 58 years old and lives in Rochdale with his wife and two cats. He attended school, college and university, where he studied both information technology and as a teacher. Mark has three daughters (including twins) and four grandchildren, one of whom is autistic. Mark is proud to have been selected to represent the residents of Balderstone and Kirkholt by Rochdale Liberal Democrats.
Mark Alcock has vast experience as a councillor and has helped thousands of residents having served eight years on Oldham Metropolitan Borough Council – holding the environment & infrastructure portfolio and as a parish councillor on Shaw and Crompton parish council. Prior to that, Mark served eight years on South Ribble Borough Council and Farington Parish Council. He has also served as GMP representative, getting more police funding to the areas he represents.
His youngest daughter is a qualified midwife, his sister in law, a ward supervisor and brother in law, a consultant surgeon. With this much NHS experience close to hand, he has inside knowledge of the problems at our hospitals and he will work to make sure that our residents get the services and health facilities that our area needs.
Mark has had a varied work history, working in a variety of jobs from farming, milkman, wagon driver, cleaner, forklift driver, miller and driller, shop manager, sales rep, IT trainer, and production worker and lately selling Sky TV. You will see Mark out and about at the Trafford Centre and Arndale amongst other places! When not working, Mark likes to spend his limited spare time with his wife, his daughters, grandchildren and watching sport.
He is not a career politician, he has had a good mix of the real challenges that many of the people living in Rochdale have encountered. This includes the stressful process of being made redundant more than once. He believes that these experiences help him when he represents the people of Balderstone and Kirkholt who put their trust in him.
Mark’s Manifesto for Balderstone and Kirkholt
Mark is already working and will continue to work improve our area by:
Reversing the Labour councils plans to build on our greenfields
To STOP Fracking for gas under our homes
- Getting potholes filled across our area
- Having rubbish removed
- Working to stop bikers damaging Balderstone Park and to work to improve the park
- Stopping speeding traffic in several locations
- Alleviating flooding in numerous areas
- Working to get more places and resources at our local schools
- Protecting of the green belt around Thornham and New Broad Lane and across our area
- Pushing ahead with regeneration of the central core of the Kirkholt estate – including new shopping precinct and new medical centre and improvements to the library
- An increase in youth provision around the Kirkholt estate
- Listening to people’s concerns and issues
- Advising and assisting with school appeals
- Assisting with planning problems
- Supporting constituents with housing and homelessness problems
- Helping with council tax issues
- Clamping down on dog fouling and stray dogs